Monday 2 July 2012

Hamilton's Green Space: Main Loop Trail (Dundas Valley Conservation)

 Yet another place in Hamilton that I had never visited before I started my blog. This makes me realize that even though I claim to be an advocate of Hamilton's treasures and beauty, there is still so much that I haven't experienced myself but preach about. If I have no audience, I am constantly opening my own mind to Hamilton and its boundaries. 
Dundas Valley Conservation Park's Main Loop Trail is a 3.4km terrain through forest and orchard, crossing through rivers, creeks and connecting through other main trails, like the Bruce Trail, and the Hamilton/Brantford Railroad Trail among others. Now, if you are thinking 3.4km is a long walk, don't be discouraged! I am not the fastest walker (maybe the slowest, now that I think about it due to my short-ness) and I walked, on average 800m/ 20mins. That means 1 hour and a half of walking through the forest in the cool breeze, not under the direct heat of the sun, but among plenty of creeks to splash my feet in for refreshment. 
Here's a map that you will find at every check point along the path:  
This trail is shared by walkers/hikers, bikers, and horseback riders aside from the wildlife that you might be lucky to encounter. This means, you will have to be careful not to step in horse doo-doo when admiring the trail.
Having said this, the Hamilton Conservation Authority does a very good job of maintaining the trail because considering the size of Dundas Valley Conservation, there was no garbage through around and saw horse droppings in very few spots. The trail itself is also very well maintained as you do not have to be a professional hiker, biker or equestrian to use it. There also can be found a variety of benches spread accross the trail where you can take a break if you need. This is the spot where I spent my lunch:


I accessed the Dundas Valley Main Loop Trail from the Bruce Trail via the Heritage Trail, however it is also easily accessed by car and by other trails and/or side trails. I would suggest planning your visit to the Main Trial Loop as a full day trip if you do not have easy access to a personal vehicle. I know that my next visit to the trail will be by bike from the Hamilton/Brantford Trail from Dundurn St. South. Personally, I am curious about the connections of the trails and how it is possible to bike in Hamilton without being right on the road with cars all the time, not to mention the exercise. For more information about the Dundas Valley Conversation Park, Main Trail Loop and how you can access it feel free to drop me a line otherwise please refer to the Hamilton Conservation Authority website.



The history of Dundas Valley is also something you can learn about when visiting the Main Trail Loop. The different owners of the land and how they used it. The Hermitage is among its history with two locations to encounter on the trail. Here is just a glimpse of some of the ruins that you will see:




The Dundas Valley is also a recognized environmentally significant area as it is home to many endangered species or species that cannot be found anywhere else but here. Which makes for a even bigger treat when you encounter some of these animals and plants.






Here are some more pictures of the trail passing through the Orchard, other trails, interesting flowers, and in short the 'paysage' of my walk this past week. I clearly was lucky to get such a gorgeous day on which to enjoy the whereabouts for the first time.


















I hope that you will find the trail just as amusing as I did. Also, if you are the type of person that truly loves spending time in the outdoor, consider the HCA Annual Rewards Card to enjoy more benefits when visiting Hamilton's Green Space. The Hamilton Conservation Authority does the best job they can do to keep all of its green space maintained and membership is a big contributor. I, myself am a general member on this site (no fee) but will soon buy my HCA Rewards Cards to have easier access to all the parks and events that the HCA host year-round.

Happy Adventuring!

Signing Off, 

A.Mihaela

No comments:

Post a Comment